34th Satellite Communications Systems Course
16 - 20 September 2019 | 99 City Road Conference Centre, London
About the course
As the communications industry has evolved, each new technology has provided increased throughput and flexibility but none more so than in the field of satellite communications. Now in its 34th edition, the IET Satcoms course has helped bring UK and international delegates up to date on the latest technology.
Taught by a diverse panel of industry experts, government technologists and academics, the comprehensive course syllabus is designed to provide the most relevant, industry-standard technical training for the professional satcom engineer.
The course programme runs across 5 days and includes industry-focussed projects enabling you to put knowledge into practice straight away. Find out more information on the course projects.
The course structure has been designed to lead the participant through each topic in a logical and accessible sequence bringing even the new entrant into the industry, up to speed with today’s technology. Course places are limited to ensure your learning needs are fully met.
Module 1: Satcoms Essentials
Covers satellite communications essentials: introduction to commercial and milsatcom use, future technology trends as well as the design goals of a Satcoms application engineer, preparing students to begin linking subsequent lectures to specific elements of a Satcom application.
Module 2: Link Engineering
Satellite systems planning and a thorough understanding of link budgets and QoS design. You will learn how to assess the channel performance for fixed and mobile satellite links as well as how to include the effects of intermodulation in the link budgets.
Module 3: Antennas and Spacecraft Engineering
Spacecraft engineering and operation including antennas and payload design. You will learn how to identify the main components of the communications payload and identify how designs are impacted by the changing needs of the user.
Module 4: Networks and System Design
Earth station design and satellite applications including access techniques and IP over satellite. You will learn basic Satcom network architectures (Hub, Mesh), and multiplexing concepts. Spread spectrum techniques and CDMA are described, and schemes compared.
Module 5: Practical workshop
With two exercises and a guided tour around Inmarsat’s control room puts everything into practical context and gives you insight on the real world of Inmarsat satcoms control room operation with live information from around the Earth.
For those participants working towards a formal Engineering qualification it is worth noting that this course provides 35 CPD hours.
Benefits of attending the Satcoms course
- Satellite systems planning and a thorough understanding of link budgets and QoS design:
- Identify modulation and encoding techniques for optimised performance of satcoms systems;
- Understand link budgets to assist you to sell the service products and better understand what is achievable in terms of quality of service.
- Spacecraft engineering and operation including antennas and payload design - better position yourself to work for satellite manufacturers that design spacecraft and the payload (plus support communication services hosted on it).
- Earth station design and satellite applications including access techniques and IP over satellite - so you will be able to achieve the highest (optimised) throughput, customer traffic and select the most appropriate access techniques for a given application to enable applications to work more efficiently; You will also understand better the key parts of ground stations and be better placed to select the most suitable equipment for each applications.
- Networks and system design, current commercial and military use as well as likely future trends - gain a better appreciation of the core principles, techniques and knowledge required to design complete end-to-end systems. Take away the essential tools and skills to enable you to work across a wide spectrum of terminal manufacturers, platform vendors, satellite providers and network operators.
What people say about Satcoms
"The IET Satcoms course was really great as content and knowledge transferred, but it was also the result of fantastic organisational work!"
"Great idea having these projects! Allows you to put it all together on a practical project and on a team basis."
"Fantastic course - so much hard work but rewarding. Thanks to all, particularly the course organizer who did a good job. Thank you."
Member - £1999
Member - £2250
Student - £1000
Military/Government - £1250
One day Module rate
Member - £400
Non-member - £450
Student - £250
Military/Government - £350